Every internet user that connect to the Internet on a regular basis has probably bookmarked some websites. This way he can access his favorite sites very fast and he will not need to remember the full URL of the site. When it comes to bookmarks, every person will have to decide at some points which sites are worth bookmarking. There are many websites suggesting to bookmark their page, but if you are going to be bookmarking any website that you visit from time to time, then pretty soon your list of bookmarks is going to be a mess. You may want to use folders in your bookmark list, as it will help you keep your list organized. I also suggest that you only bookmark such pages that you really visit on a regular basis. There is no point bookmarking all of the pages on the Web that you might like for one reason or another.
One of the ways to keep yourself accountable is to set some goals for your website. This is an excellent way to measure your achievements, but remember that your goals should be time-sensitive and specific. Here are some examples, which should help you get started:
• Obtain a Page Rank4 within a year. It can be any other number, as this is only an example. You can easily check your Page Rank so this also means that you can easily check on your progress.
• Obtain an Alexa rank of 100,000 within 2 months. While it might require a lot of work, you will have a lot of satisfaction if you achieve such a goal.
• Have an affiliate program revenue of $100 per month within three months. Take into account that affiliate revenue can fluctuate a lot. Nonetheless, it is possible to add up all of your affiliate income and see how you are progressing.
As you see in the examples above those are quite specific goals, and you will be easily able to say if you indeed achieved your goal or not, which is very important. You can also measure to what degree you accomplished some goal in percentages. Some people even set goals for themselves every month and say that it keeps them motivated. My personal advice is not to set goals to high, so that you will not get disappointed. Of course, realizing hard to achieve goals can be a very rewarding experience so it might be worth a try.
I am sure that I do not have to convince anybody that staying alert while conducting any online transactions is absolutely a must in today’s world. The thing is that when you try to do anything online, you can expect somebody to steal a lot of important information from you. This is something called phishing and it should never be ignored. Of course, it is not a surprise that there will be always Internet users out there who will do anything to steal your important data such as your passwords and pin numbers. This is why honest folks like us need to learn to deal with such people and make sure that none of our information is ever stolen from us.
Earlier on this blog I was writing how you can print mailing and returning addresses on envelopes and labels in MS Word. However, you can do more than that with them. You can add the graphics of your choice for example to your mailing or returning address. To do this, follow these few steps:
1. First, select your mailing or returning address to which you would like to add the graphics.
2. Go to Tools menu and open Envelopes and Labels window.
3. Click on Add to Document or Change Document.
4. In the Status bar click on the Page Layout view icon.
5. Now it is time to insert the graphics of your choice into the document.
6. Print the new envelope.
You never know when this might come in handy and having vast knowledge about Word will make your work with this text editor a lot more pleasant.
Protecting your computer form viruses, trojans, and other malicious infections is an important thing to do in order to keep your computer safe. There are many different antivirus programs available, as well as a wide choice of firewalls. Often you will find both antivirus and firewall features available in one program, usually called a security suite. While it is debatable which firewall/antivirus are the best to use, I would like to make some recommendations based on personal experience. First of all, I would not use a security suite, because the best antivirus and firewall is not available in any security suite. I recommend using a program like NOD32 as an antivirus, as it offers the best active protection. I also recommend using a firewall like Comodo Firewall because it protects as well as any paid firewall, but it is completely free.
The problem with working in an office is that you might not always be busy. And when a worker is not busy, he might be tempted to start looking for something to do, like surfing the Web, or writing emails. There are many people who just surf the Internet for fun during work, or use their email for other purposes then strictly work. According to the study conducted by AMA (American Management Association) among three hundred companies US companies more than a quarter of employees were fired because of misusing email, and every third worker has been let go for not using the Internet properly at work. Whereas accessing pornographic sites during working hours was the main reason for being fired for misusing the Internet, simply surfing the Web was the reason one third of the employees lost their employment. Office workers are also being downsized for the misuses of emails, mostly because of the inappropriate language used in correspondence. Twenty five percent of bosses said that they fired their staff because of excessive personal use of email.
I think that it is quite apparent that a worker should not access pornographic websites, or other sites considered to be offensive. When it comes to emails avoiding using vulgar language is another thing that employees should remember about. Workers should also realize that in order to have everything under control many companies monitor their Internet connections, and as a matter of fact, it has been said that 66% of companies monitor their Internet connections. In many cases companies do not even have to notify employees that their activity at the computer is monitored. Every employee should remember that and try to represent their company in the best way possible. Employees should also try to use their time effectively because they are usually paid on a per hour basis. Of course, employees also deserve privacy to some degree, so monitoring Internet connections may not be the best way to motivate employees to work more efficiently.
First of all, Page Rank is Google’s ranking algorithm that calculates the importance of webpages on the Internet. In order to get a high PR, a site has to have high PR websites linking to it that are relevant to the topic of the site, and are not blacklisted by Google. The PR scale is from 0 to 10, with 3 being respectable, 6 impressive, and 10 almost impossible to achieve. It is a widely used way to determine a website’s value when deciding to buy a site, exchanging links with it, or in any other circumstances. Since it is so widely used, sometimes the consequences of being tricked by a fake PR can be drastic, like in a case of buying an expensive website. However there are ways to identify fake Page Rank, depending on circumstances:
1. Visit this PR checking tool (checkpagerank.net) to determine if the PR is valid. Among other things, it checks whether a site uses a 301 or 302 redirect that points from their site to another site with a high Pagerank. Such redirect can be used to fake a site’s PR by displaying PR of another website, instead of its own. PR displayed in toolbars is not always real, as it can be tricked by redirecting.
2. Check the number of backlinks on the smartpagerank.com site. If there are none or only few backlinks from low PR sites and the sites appears to have a high PR, it might indicate that something suspicious is going on. Use the backlinks analyzer for detailed information.
3. Check the number of indexed pages by checking out smartpagerank.com. If there are no pages it means that the domain has probably dropped/expired recently, or that it is blacklisted by Google. If there are only a few links and the site has a high PR, you should be cautious as well.
4. Use the WayBackMachine tool (archive.org/index.php) to see how the site looked like in the past. If it was a completely different website, it might mean that it recently switched owners. If the topic of the new website is different as well, there is a risk that the PR will drop. That is because Google only counts links relevant to the topic to determine PR.
Would you like to hear some email tips? You have probably seen BCC before many times, and were wondering what this abbreviation stands for. By using BCC, you can send your email to many people without them knowing who the other recipients are. Whereas CC stands for Carbon Copy, BCC is a abbreviation for Blind Carbon Copy. As using CC enables other people to see who else received a message, there are many advantages of using BCC over CC:
• You might not want the others to know what the email addresses of your recipients are. Since we live in a world where many people consider it a full time job to obtain email addresses of others for commercial purposes, it might be a lot safer thing to do.
• For some reason you might not want to reveal to how many people you are sending an email.
• Your recipients might not be happy that you shared their email address with others. They have the right to, and I am sure that they would appreciate that you respect their wishes.
• If you are a company, sending emails using BCC looks more professional, as you should not reveal information about your customers.
Overall, Blind Carbon Copy ensures privacy of your recipients, so in many situations this will be the biggest advantage of using it.
This time I would like to write about advantages and disadvantages of blogs hosted on your own domain name:
-You will have to pay for the domain name and for hosting your domain. This can amount to approximately $150 per year, but it varies depending on which hosting plan you will choose.
-If your blog is hosted on Blogspot you can incorporate AdSense, but Google will take part of the profit. However, you will not need to share your profit with Google if you decide to have your own domain.
-Other bloggers might show more respect towards bloggers who have their blog hosted on their own domain. That is because they might assume that such a blogger is more serious about blogging.
-If you have your own domain, you have a lot higher possibility to fully customize your blog. However, it might require some html and php knowledge. Make sure you learn some basic html before you decide to host your own blog.
I will leave you to make your own conclusions about hosting, because it really depends on circumstances. Overall, if you are really serious about blogging you may eventually decide to host your blog on your own domain.
Installing a home theater is one of the best things you can do for yourself or your family. I am sure that many of you have your own home theater; however, are you sure that you own one of the best projectors available on the market? The choice of projectors is very wide. Taking time to choose the right one might be worthwhile. After all, the performance of your home theater depends on it. Depending on what type of a projector you own, the performance of movies you watch is better or worse. You want to have a quality projector to get the best experience possible while watching your favorite movies.
Of course, many businesses also use projectors. That is because they can be used for presentations and due to that they are very useful. There are even some projector rentals available for businesses. I am sure that many businesses can benefit from using projectors as the efficiency of the company might increase this way.
When you choose a projector the most important factors are price and the overall quality. You need to find the right balance, depending on your needs. If you only intend to use a projector for showing slideshows, then you may not need a very expensive projector.