Email is a great thing, but these days it is not uncommon for people to be addicted to checking email. What I mean by this is that often people will check their email even though they know it is not the right time or place. For example, if checking your email box distracts you from more important tasks, then it might be a sign that you are addicted to checking email. Some people if they cannot sleep at night they might get up and check their email. Well, that might not be a great idea because what if you will notice some important email from your boss and this will further prevent you from sleeping? I try to check my email daily, but I do it only once per day.
Because more and more people have access to Internet each year, social networking is gaining more and more on popularity as well. People take advantage out of social networks and treat them as an alternative for looking for friends. Whereas there are some networks that are better and more user friendly than others, let me here give you a few reasons why social networking can be so fun:
1. Contacting other people is relatively easy and very fast. All you need to do is to create an account which will only take you a few minutes. You will be asked a few simple questions after which you will be ready to start interacting with other users. The questions are very easy, and among other things you will need to provide a valid email address. Usually, you will not be obliged to do anything that you would feel uncomfortable with. Even if some user starts harassing you, you are free to quit as soon as you want.
2. Registration usually does not cost anything. There will be some exception to that, but the good thing about the Internet is the fact that many things are for free.
3. You can very easily meet friends who share the same interests as you.
4. You are given an option to upload your pictures, blogs, audio messages etc. I am sure that many of us like doing that, and the thought that somebody might be reading our articles is thrilling.
One of the problems with Internet Explorer is the lack of the possibility to customize it. Fortunately Firefox allows various customizations, including the possibility to sort your downloads the way you like. You won’t be able to do it with a vanilla version of Firefox, but you will just need to install the Sort plugin to enable it Sort allows you to store files with different extensions in separate folders. For example you may wish to save mp3 files your “Music” folder and jpg files in “Pictures” folder. This extension will be especially valuable for those internet users which tend to download a lot, as it can automatically sort files for you.
I am sure that at some point you have heard the term phishing. If you are an experienced Internet user, you probably know what the term is all about. Phishing occurs is when instead of going to the real website of your bank for example, you are being redirected to a fake website that looks almost exactly like the one representing your bank.
One problem with phishing is that it might be sometimes so easy to fall prey to it. What looks like a legitimate website might be a website that looks almost identical comparing it to the original. Common sense is your best friend when it comes to that. Try to judge for yourself whether the website you visit and input your data including your password is real or not.
Who do you think is responsible for your security when you surf the Web? The answer to this question is rather simple: you are responsible for it. Not the government, not your family nor your antivirus seller. Only you are fully responsible for your Internet security while you spend time online.
It might feel natural to want to share pictures on the Internet with others together with many other files that others want to share with us. One problem with sharing files is that some nasty viruses can hide in them and they can completely ruin your computer when it comes to its security. My advice here is to be very careful what types of files you open.
After blogging for a few months or years a blogger usually writes a lot of posts. Some of them are obviously more valuable then others and it would be a shame if they were very hard to find. One solution to make sure that people will read what you wrote in the past is to actually rewrite your old posts. In order to do this you should use up-to-date information and publish them again. I have seen this done on the top blogs in the blogosphere and if your older posts are able to stand the test of time, there is no reason why you would not want to do it. Very often there is a lot of valuable information in older posts and rewriting them might be a very good idea.
Another approach would be to link to your best posts from the sidebar, but on the other hand rewriting posts might be more beneficial, as it would update them with more recent data. If you do not plan to rewrite your older posts, then you may at least want to link to your best posts on your sidebar. If you visit many blogs, then you will notice that many other bloggers link to their posts from their sidebar.
Most bloggers would prefer to have more comments on their blog and there is generally an agreement that blogs benefit from comments. That is because not only many comments indicate that your blog is popular, but also make your visitors more involved with your blog. Various visitors often contribute interesting thoughts of their own, which in turn makes them more loyal readers and in general improves the overall quality of your blog. Improving the quality of your blog in turn attracts more visitors. So the question is not whether you should encourage comments, but rather how to do it. This post is going to give advice on this subject. Before we start, if you are a WordPress Blogger, just make sure you have Akismet plug-in activated to fight with spam. Without further adieu, here is the list:
1. Have a top commentators widget on your sidebar. This greatly motivates people to leave comments, as they will feel appreciated for the fact of contributing to the discussion. I am using the “Show Top Commentators widget” which is compatible with the latest WordPress release and can be found here: www.pfadvice.com/wordpress-plugins/show-top-commentators.
2. Reward your top commentators with a short review of their sites or even some money. Some bloggers have done this and it served them well as it encouraged leaving comments on their blogs.
3. Have a recent comments widget on your sidebar. This encourages visitors to leave comments, especially on older posts, because new comments are very easy to find. I am using the default “Recent Comments” widget from WordPress. Blogs hosted on Blogger.com may use “Recent Comments for Blogger” found on storago.com/free_tools.
It seems that an average hacker is always busy with coming up with newer and newer ways to cheat Internet users out of their money. One of the latest ways for hackers to get sensitive information from Internet users is launching websites (spoof websites) that look almost exactly like the websites of some of the most popular banks in the world many of people who use the Internet are so likely to use. It is so easy to fall victim to one of such scams because the addresses of those websites look almost identical as the address of a bank you probably use. One way to avoid this type of scam is to always type the address of your bank manually in your browser. That way you will never be redirected to a website that is a fake one and has nothing to do with your bank.
Every internet user that connect to the Internet on a regular basis has probably bookmarked some websites. This way he can access his favorite sites very fast and he will not need to remember the full URL of the site. When it comes to bookmarks, every person will have to decide at some points which sites are worth bookmarking. There are many websites suggesting to bookmark their page, but if you are going to be bookmarking any website that you visit from time to time, then pretty soon your list of bookmarks is going to be a mess. You may want to use folders in your bookmark list, as it will help you keep your list organized. I also suggest that you only bookmark such pages that you really visit on a regular basis. There is no point bookmarking all of the pages on the Web that you might like for one reason or another.
One of the ways to keep yourself accountable is to set some goals for your website. This is an excellent way to measure your achievements, but remember that your goals should be time-sensitive and specific. Here are some examples, which should help you get started:
• Obtain a Page Rank4 within a year. It can be any other number, as this is only an example. You can easily check your Page Rank so this also means that you can easily check on your progress.
• Obtain an Alexa rank of 100,000 within 2 months. While it might require a lot of work, you will have a lot of satisfaction if you achieve such a goal.
• Have an affiliate program revenue of $100 per month within three months. Take into account that affiliate revenue can fluctuate a lot. Nonetheless, it is possible to add up all of your affiliate income and see how you are progressing.
As you see in the examples above those are quite specific goals, and you will be easily able to say if you indeed achieved your goal or not, which is very important. You can also measure to what degree you accomplished some goal in percentages. Some people even set goals for themselves every month and say that it keeps them motivated. My personal advice is not to set goals to high, so that you will not get disappointed. Of course, realizing hard to achieve goals can be a very rewarding experience so it might be worth a try.